I’ve had this top for a few years but I don’t wear it too often. I wanted to change that… I haven’t been able to part with it because I really like the back and I like the material. (It’s pretty, soft, and breathable.) It’s just always been a little too snug and the material, even though I like it, has hardly any stretch to it. So I found this on Pinterest…
And decided to use that as a jumping off point. I didn’t want to make the top really loose, but I wanted to add a few inches around. I had some black floral lace that I found at Walmart on clearance last winter when we were in Oklahoma City. (It’s crazy to me that I remember WHEN things happened by WHERE I was… Life on the road I guess.) Anyway, here’s what I used…
- Razor blade (a seam ripper would probably be better but I don’t have one yet)
- A too snug top
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
I used my seam ripper, sike! my razor blade to take apart the sides of the top. I left the sleeves intact.
Then I cut a strip of lace, leaving the manufactured edge at the bottom so I wouldn’t have to worry about what to do with that. And I pinned it in place, just adding 1″-2″ and tapering it toward the arm holes.
Once I had both sides relatively even (I eyeballed it), I started sewing. I sewed a line up each side, removing pins as I went. (I need to find an easier way to do that, because it always seems like I’m fighting to get the pins out without stabbing myself or breaking the needle or taking the pins out too early and losing my place…).
Anyhow, after I finished both sides of the shirt, I went back and sewed another line, just to be sure it would hold. I don’t think I would do that with regular fabric, but it’s my first time really working with lace, so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to pull apart on me.
And voila! My top is still cute, and it fits better!
DIY Pillow Covers: Round 2