- 1lb penne or ziti
- 1lb ground turkey, browned
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- A handful of mushrooms, chopped *optional*
- Italian seasoning
- A couple handfuls of fresh spinach *optional*
- 2 cans of pasta sauce (I used one Italian sausage flavor and one Parmesan garlic flavor)
- 16oz small curd cottage cheese (or ricotta)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1.5 cups mozzarella
Brown the ground turkey. Put it in a large mixing bowl. In the same skillet, cook the onions and mushrooms over medium heat with some olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the garlic for 2-3 minutes. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to the ground turkey. Stir in chopped tomatoes and pasta sauce.
In a smaller bowl, mix together cottage cheese and Parmesan with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
In a slow cooker, layer a little sauce, 1/3 of the pasta, 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella, a handful of spinach (if using), 1/3 of the sauce and meat mixture. Repeat all that 2 more times.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours. The last half hour top with the rest of the mozzarella.