The slow cooker is also great when I can use one of those slow cooker disposable liners. Especially when we are traveling and don’t necessarily have time to do lots of dishes (or when we don’t have a full hook up site for the camper!) Not to mention, anything you can make in one pot saves a ton of time and space, and space is ALWAYS at a premium in RVs…
This is a first for me though, making pasta in the crock pot, but it came out great! (It also made plenty! Enough for dinner a couple of nights and 2 lunches for Allen…)
- 1lb penne or ziti
- 1lb ground turkey, browned
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- A handful of mushrooms, chopped *optional*
- Italian seasoning
- A couple handfuls of fresh spinach *optional*
- 2 cans of pasta sauce (I used one Italian sausage flavor and one Parmesan garlic flavor)
- 16oz small curd cottage cheese (or ricotta)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1.5 cups mozzarella
Brown the ground turkey. Put it in a large mixing bowl. In the same skillet, cook the onions and mushrooms over medium heat with some olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the garlic for 2-3 minutes. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add to the ground turkey. Stir in chopped tomatoes and pasta sauce.
In a smaller bowl, mix together cottage cheese and Parmesan with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
In a slow cooker, layer a little sauce, 1/3 of the pasta, 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella, a handful of spinach (if using), 1/3 of the sauce and meat mixture. Repeat all that 2 more times.